Monday, June 13, 2011

Living on a Prayer

For the first time since we have taken David home I am not sleeping in the same room with my wife and son. We are in a semi private room so there is only really room for one of us to sleep in there and Cole is sleeping in with him (let it be known that she offered the pull out chair to me and I declined which makes the next part even better because I have the top bunk!!! Yes fat boy Drew on the top bunk! So it's weird knowing my family is right down the hall and a couple of feet lower than me.

On to the important stuff David now has lived through 2 open heart surgeries!!! I mean seriously the kid has fought through more stuff that I'd give up on already in his life. He has had a good day since then, some mini downs (high temps and heart rates, having to be restrained because he's trying to pull his chest tubes) and some ups (going off the respirator, weaning dopamine sleeping and waking in cycles). What I am amazed by is his fight, determination and stubbornness. It really can't be explained.

David wad taken care of one of our favorite PICU nurses and she did a terrific job. It's great that after 6 months and so many other patients she could tell the nurses and dr's around her what David liked and didn't like why his body was reacting this way or that. It was amazing to watch.

David is still doing good as we enter the night. One thing we have noticed is how aware David is, he hears us and whenever he can move his body starts to lean and tilt in the direction of where we are because he knows and trusts our voices. There's something preachable there but I don't want to preach or try to wax eloquently on the day. Today was hell, it was scary and at the same time love never shined brighter. We can't thank you enough for your prayers and thoughts, please keep them coming David isn't out of the woods yet and he has a kidney cath later in the week. We love all of you!!!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment