Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Beautiful Boy

So from the first time that we found out that David was going to have to have this 3 surgery process we were told that sometime after his first surgery (The Norwood for those keeping score at home) there would be a time when he would slump, where things would go wrong and he would take steps backward. We have sense that point sat on the edge of our seats as he has continually done amazing, waiting for the slump to happen. Until today we had been waiting in anticipation for nothing but today we found out that David wasn't quite building up another pressure in his lungs and fluids were starting to build, in fact the term they used for it was that his lungs had to some degree collapsed. At first we were freaked out but we noticed that with every test and doctor assessment they got happier and happier with him. Once again the slump we thought was going to happen just became a not great day. He is now fully off his blood pressure medicine and his pain medicine unless he is just unruly. In fact they are talking about sending him back down to the NICU to start eating here in the next couple of days once his lungs are back to the right point. He is starting to get some volume back in his voice slowly but surely. We know when he isn't happy pretty quickly. The staff is starting to say things like he has been one of the quickest Norwood kids to recover from this extensive surgery. While we are proud of that and laugh when he shocks and amazes the staff every time we look at him we are just reminded how amazing he is, how amazingly lucky we are to have been in places that knew how to treat him and how much of a fighter he is.

You might ask why I chose Beautiful Boy as my title outside of the picture of cuteness that is up top it also is the song I sang to David tonight. I have always loved John Lennon and the Beatles but that song (which is also in one of my favorite movies, Mr. Holland's Opus) has taken on such a new meaning. I love my sister's baby with all my heart. Stella is amazing. I love the kids and youth I have ministered too in my life, I love my friends kids but nothing compares for the love and simplistic beauty of looking at my son and having him grab my finger. Him crying is a chance to love on him, changing his diaper is a chance to make him comfortable, I truly feel my heart has learned to grow and love in a new way and I can't get enough.

May we all see the beauty in the things of everyday, may we learn to serve and love others with our very fibers, may we see love in new ways and faces.

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment