Saturday, December 25, 2010

Every New Day

So we sadly don't have any David pictures for everyone today. We thought about putting some old ones on here or even taking some new ones but he was resting so well we didn't want to mess with him too much. I will tell you the best part of the day for me was that when he wasn't as asleep as he usually is and Nicole or I would talk we could see his little eyes move under his eyelids towards us. There is something that I can't fully describe when I feel like he knows my voice and is straining to hear me and search me out. I think there could be a sermon there somewhere. David in general had a pretty good day, his blood pressure wanted to act like a roller coaster but the doctor's never really let it go to far one way or the other until they were way on top of it. He got his UAC line out of his belly button and started eating a little bit through a tube. I think this made Nicole happy to know she was pumping for a reason. We tried to ignore Christmas a little bit wanting to celebrate it later once he was doing better, we still had the family come up and ate with them or just hung out but saying Merry Christmas to people was hard at times. (On a quick side note, the nurses, doctors, and everyone else never once complained about having to work today which amazed me). Still it was nice to have his stocking ready with stuffed animals and books to read to him soon. The other big thing is the plan is that tomorrow they will close up his chest and start the process of getting the respirator out soon. It feels like some really big steps are beginning to happen! We still have a ways to go and every once in a while there are some small setbacks such as tonight he had to go back on a full suction chest tube to get rid of some air in the patch and just make sure everything is all right but it's precautionary so it's a tiny step back with a lot of big steps forward.

I think the amazing thing is that living in the hospital which we have done for the last couple of days brings about a sense of monotony. Yet every day I wake up it feels brand new b/c some very big things could happen that day. At the flip side some very scary and bad things can happen as well but there is a sense that when I wake up I have a purpose even if it's too sit and look at my son all day long and make sure he is good to go. My song of the day is "Every New Day" by Five Iron Frenzy here is a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPru3nUMfL4

I think too often we get caught up in the routine and lose some of the joy that every day is a new chance to do amazing things and to love like you never have before. Part of my feelings recently is that I will never once say I should have shown David more love because every day is a chance to do that again and again, more and more. I hope that I take my disposition with him and put it towards everyone I meet because every day is that chance.

Anyways tomorrow is a hopefully and prayerfully going to be a good and huge day for us. Love all of you and Merry Christmas!

D

1 comment:

  1. Drew -

    So excited that David is making progress & will be thinking of you tomorrow and praying that his chest can be closed and will be done so successfully & that the respirator can come out soon! I look for new pics and enjoy all the you post. He is beautiful - just precious. Praying that the peace of Christ remain with all of you!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete